2013 was the first year NEO Racing News existed, so it was more about laying groundwork than anything else. Thanks to the tracks and drivers around Northeast Ohio, I was able to do that. Looking back into the vault, here are the top videos on the NEO Racing News YouTube Channel in 2013!
(AKRON, OH/NEO Racing News) Two-Time Main Event Racing Series winner and Barberton Speedway co-owner Mike Mazzagatti is planning to attend the “Ball” in Pensacola to cap off his 2015 season. The Snowball, that is.
Mazzagatti Motorsports and driver Mike Mazzagatti will be attempting to make the 48th annual Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, FL. The famous late model showdown attracts top racers from around the country for a 300 lap showdown every December since 1968. Previous winners include past, present, and future NASCAR stars. Kyle Busch, Darrell Waltrip, Erik Jones, Chase Elliott, and more have hoisted the trademark trophy, topped with a signature snowball.
For the 2015 edition scheduled for December 6th, over 60 cars have already registered. Drivers include Ty Majeski, Ross Kenseth, John Hunter Nemechek, Bubba Pollard, and Grant Enfinger. Qualifying on December 4th will lock in the top 30 drivers on time. Drivers that don’t qualify on time will have to race their way in on December 5th. Four drivers will advance from a 50 lap “Last Chance” race to complete the field.
Mike Mazzagatti earned two wins in the Main Event Racing Series this year, finishing third in points. His first came at Midvale Speedway near New Philadelphia, OH during the Downtown Ford 100. Mazzagatti dominated the show, leading 63 laps on his way to the checkers. He also powered his #87 FLF Chassis to victory lane at the recently re-opened Spitzer Motor Speedway of Mansfield. Mike completed the season with seven top-five finishes, and was 90 points behind 2015 Main Event Racing Series Champion Jeff Ganus.
The team is no stranger to major events. In 2011 and 2012, Mazzagatti competed in the World Series of Racing at New Smyrna Speedway in Florida. The annual event features multiple races over the course of a week, crowning a champion based on total points. Mike has earned two top-tens in the Pro Late Model division.
While Mazzagatti has found success on the track, he has also continued to support the Northeast Ohio racing scene. Mike, with his Brother Pat, purchased Barberton Speedway this summer and returned racing to the paperclip-shaped asphalt track. Barberton Speedway re-opened in September with over 100 cars in the pits and stands filled to capacity.
Mazzagatti Motorsports would like to thank their sponsors for making the 2015 season possible: Holub Recycling, Shakers Auto Salvage, Arlington Auto Wrecking, Barberton Speedway, FLF Race Cars, Medina Mountain Motors, and D.W. Signs.
Crew supporting Mazzagatti Motorsports this year include: Mark Carr, John Szitti, Dwayne Workman, Burt Hobert, Dennis Knoxx, Doug Sommers, Randy Burns
Special Thanks from Mazzagatti Motorsports to the following: Lisa, Chloe and Michael Mazzagatti (wife and kids), (Brother) Pat Mazzagatti and Family, All the crews wives and kids for allowing the long hours and travel away from home, Tim Curry (FLF Racecars), and all the supporters and the many many people who make this possible.
The Northeast Ohio racing scene is hoping to keep the great weather and racing rolling into the next weekend! Every weekly track is active now, by my count. If you haven’t made it out to your local track yet, this weekend would be a great opportunity!
Friday – May 8th
Eldora Speedway – World of Outlaws & USAC National Sprints NIGHT ONE – Gates Open 2 PM – Racing at 7:30 PM – Adult GA $25 – Kids GA 12 & Under $6
Route 250 Speedway – Weekly Racing / $2 Off Admission for Moms – Gates Open 4:30 PM – Racing at 8 PM – Adults $10 – 12 & Under Free
Attica Raceway Park – Attica & Wayne County Late Model Challenge / Weekly Racing – Gates Open 5 PM – Racing at 7:45 PM – Adults $15 – Kids $10 – 10 & Under Free
Toledo Speedway – Weekly Racing Opener / College ID Night / Scout Night – Gates Open 5 PM – Racing at 7:30 PM – Adults $12 – Kids 6-12 $3 – 6 & Under Free
Sandusky Speedway – Karting Series – Off Week (No Kart Racing)
Saturday – April 18th
Sandusky Speedway – Main Event Racing Series / MSA Supermodifieds– Gates Open 4 PM – Racing at 7 PM – Adults $12 – Kids $5 – 6 & Under Free
Facebook – Twitter – YouTube – Instagram
Sharon Speedway – Weekly Racing / $5 Admission for Moms – Gates Open 5 PM – Racing at 7 PM – Adults $10 – 13 & Under Free
Columbus Motor Speedway – Weekly Racing & US Legend Cars – Gates Open 5 PM – Racing Starts 7 PM – Adults $12 – Kids $4
Midvale Speedway – Weekly Racing / $1 Hot Dogs & Pop – Gates Open 3 PM – Racing at 6:30 PM – Adults $12 – Kids $8 – 5 & Under Free
Lorain County Speedway – Mod Mania #2 50 Lap Feature / Fireworks– Gates Open 3 PM – Racing at 7 PM – Adults $15 – Kids 12 & Under Free
Eldora Speedway – World of Outlaws & USAC National Sprints NIGHT TWO – Gates Open 2 PM – Racing at 7:30 PM – Adult GA $25 – Kids GA 12 & Under $6
Wayne County Speedway – Attica & Wayne County Late Model Challenge / Weekly Racing – Gates Open 3 PM – Racing at 7 PM – Adults $12 – Kids 12 & Under Free
Deerfield Raceway – Weekly Racing – Racing at 7 PM – Adults $10 – Kids $5 – 9 & Under Free
Fremont Speedway – BOSS, Weekly Racing / Mascot Night – Gates Open 4 PM – Racing at 7 PM – Adults $14 – Kids $8 – 10 & Under Free
Hilltop Speedway – $400 to win Modlite Feature / Weekly Racing – Pits Open 4 PM – Racing 6:30 PM – Adults $10 – Kids Free
Lake County Speedway – Scheduled Off Week
Hobby Stock driver #28 Jesse Houghton celebrates after winning the $1,000 to win Feature at Sandusky Speedway (10/12/13) Continue reading PHOTOS: Saturday at Main Event 26
With the July 4th weekend ahead, it means it’s time for some midweek racing! Both Deerfield and Midvale feature shows tonight. A 100 lap Enduro highlight’s the action in Deerfield. Also included are Compact and E-Mod Invitationals. Midvale leads off with the Main Event Racing Series Super Late Models, but also features Modified, Pure Stock, and Mini Truck racing.
NEO Racing News will be live from Midvale Speedway tonight, and you can follow along with live updates via Twitter @NEORacingNews. Give us a follow there, or “like” the site on Facebook. Continue reading Racing Around NEO: Midweek Racing Edition
This weekend is complicated by threats of rain, but don’t let that hold you back from heading out to the track! All Friday night racing was cancelled due to rain and wet conditions. The weather has also adjusted Sandusky Speedway’s schedule, with the Auto Value Super Sprints cancelling their feature. Sandusky will continue their show with Mods, Street Stocks, and Hobby Stocks.
Stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter accounts for the latest on rain delays and race cancellations Continue reading Racing Around NEO: Monsoon Edition
Columbus Motor Speedway – Saturday 6/22/13
- Main Event Racing Series Feature – 1. Brian Short / 2. Jack Varney Jr. / 3. Bud Perry / 4. Rich Rohrer / 5. Alex Rosenberry
- Columbus Modified Feature – 1. Kyle Purvis / 2. Terry Humphrey / 3. Dave Disinger / 4. Buddy Townsend / 5. Shane Shirk
- Sport Stock Feature – 1. Earl Goldy / 2. Mike Litchfield / 3. Ray Muncy / 4. Ralph Vinson / 5. Phil Gussler Jr.
- Crazy Compact Feature – 1. Jeff Watkins / 2. Chris Lucas / 3. Joshua Mecum / 4. Lonnie Brown / 5. Danielle Brown
- For full results, please visit Columbus Motor Speedway’s website.
Lorain County Speedway – Saturday 6/22/13
- Sportsman Feature – 1. Nick Wiery / 2. Roland Sheppard Jr. / 3. Mike Strah / 4. Bobby Schramm
- Modified Feature – 1. Mark Smith / 2. Tigh Shaffer / 3. Joe Quinn / 4. Paul Shaffer / 5. Jeffrey Fade Jr.
- Grand National Feature – 1. Ryan Chapman / 2. Mike Mathers / 3. <att Wilson / 4. Ed Kerman / 5. John Konzelman
- Chargers Feature – 1. Corey Phillips / 2. Lindsay Fade / 3. Neil Broski / 4. Jay Teague / 5. Rick Kovac
- Spectator Stock Feature – 1. Bob Lusetti / 2. Jason Zevotek / 3. Joe Quinn
- For full results, please visit Lorain County Speedway’s website.
Midvale Speedway – Saturday 6/22/13
- McIntosh Oil Company Late Model Feature – 1. Bryant Smith / 2. Rick Sibila / 3. Ryan Tedesco / 4. Bubba Smith / 5. Mark Lambert
- Summit Racing Equipment Economy Modified Feature – 1. Todd Ripley / 2. Kevin McClintock / 3. Randy Smart / 4. Mike Bowers / 5. Scott Archer
- Pure Stock Feature – 1. Mike Martin / 2. Rich Schweitzer / 3. Gary Hoopingamer / 4. Bill Shimko / 5. Teddy Oliver
- Mini Truck Feature – 1. Dennis Wood / 2. Cody Collmar / 3. Keith Anderson / 4. Doug Decker
- Compact Feature #1 – 1. Kyle Grove / 2. Mike Swaney / 3. Braden Swaney / 4. Jeffrey Orr / 5. Clayton Oliver
- Compact Feature #2 – 1. Justin Renicker / 2. Dale Beatty / 3. Ryan Shreffler / 4. Brad McClain / 5. Kyle Finlayson
- Funpacts Feature – 1. Dan Buckey / 2. Kohlten Bryan / 3. Howard Bartholow / 4. Chris Paul / 5. Howard Batholow
- For full results, please visit Midvale Speedway’s website.
Toledo Speedway – Friday 6/21/13
- ARCA ACME Dismantling Sportsman Feature – 1. Howard Kelley Jr. / 2. Mike Young / 3. Jim Frolling / 4. Kyle DeLisle Jr. / 5. Ron Allen
- ARCA Parts Galore Figure 8 Feature – 1. Robbie Loving / 2. Dennis Whisman / 3. Dan Apperson / 4. Jerry Lee / 5. Randy Roberts
- ARCA R & M Recycling X Car Feature – 1. Dennis Whisman / 2. Greg Studt / 3. Tommy O’Leary / 4. Rich Frantz / 5. Matt Ringger
- ARCA 4 Cylinder Feature – 1. David Price / 2. John Decker / 3. David Katafiasz
- For full results, please visit Toledo Speedway’s website.
Sandusky Speedway – Saturday 6/22/13
- Adkins Glass MSA Supermodified Feature – 1. Dave Shullick Jr. / 2. Trent Stephens / 3. Charlie Schultz / 4. Kyle Vanderpool / 5. Trevor Berry
- Ignitable Technologies Modified Feature – 1. Kenny Sharp / 2. Kevin Jaycox Jr. / 3. John Bartlome / 4. Steve Jones / 5. Kenny Calhoun
- Milan Automotive Hobby Stock Feature – 1. John McKee / 2. Joey Wyckoff / 3. Mike McDonald / 4. Dan Smith / 5. Jason Rowe
- Pizza Brothers Street Stock Feature – 1. Justin Hamilton / 2. Chris Hamilton / 3. Randy Dawson / 4. Cody Rose
- For more information, please visit Sandusky Speedway’s website.
Ride along with MSA Supermodified driver #8 Moe Lilje and Main Event Racing Series driver #33 Jake Francis at Sandusky Speedway. Video is from Saturday, May 18th. Keep reading to see the videos. Continue reading VIDEOS: Ride Along With Francis, Lilje at Sandusky Speedway
MSA Supermodifieds and Main Event Racing Series Late Models returned to Sandusky Speedway this weekend after being rained out last week. Saturday’s show also included Hobby Stocks and Street Stocks. Winners from last night include (MSA) #19 Trent Stephens, (MERS) #116 Jack Varney Jr., (Street Stock) #07 Justin Hamilton, and (Hobby Stock) #4 John McKee. More pictures after the break. Continue reading PHOTOS: Supermodifieds and Outlaw Late Models