A busy weekend of dirt racing now lays behind us. UNOH All Star Sprints battled for two days at Fremont, while the World of Outlaw Late Models faced off at Wayne County. Two full days of racing also took place at Sharon Speedway, as drivers competed in the Bill Emig Memorial. For full results, keep reading after the break. Continue reading RESULTS: Dirt Tracks May 24th Through 26th
Five Features, five winners at Sandusky Speedway’s rare Sunday night race.
#6L Talon Stephens swept the night’s Buckeye Super Sprint racing after several tributes to his team’s owner, Sam Layne. Layne, a sprint car owner for more than 30 years, passed away this week. Talon is the third generation of Stephens to drive for Layne, who helped over 10 drivers get a ride in a sprint car. Sandusky Speedway honored Layne with a moment of silence prior to the BSS Heat Race, and also left the Feature Race’s pole position open in honor of Sam’s Legacy.
The second leg of North Coast Modified Challenge was also held Sunday night. #33 Jeffrey Fade Jr. won at Lorain Saturday, giving him a chance to snag a $1,000 bonus if he could sweep and win at Sandusky. The bonus money ended up being safe, as #0 Kenny Phillips finished the 30 lap feature first.
Chris Hamilton cruised to victory in his #5 car to win the Street Stock feature. #22 Cornel Mentler rode out several red flags to take the Ohio Stock Feature win. Driver Jerry Karl was taken to the hospital for observation after a wreck on the backstretch during the Ohio Stock Feature, but he is reportedly OK. Concluding the night were the Hobby Stocks. Despite not starting until midnight, the field of about 12 cars put on a great show for the fans. Emerging from the constant two-wide and three-wide racing was #7 Zack Miller. This was Miller’s first Feature win.
The picture gallery from the night’s racing is available after the break. Continue reading PHOTOS: Talon Soars in Sandusky Sprints, Phillips Takes Modified Challenge
Sandusky Speedway had great conditions for racing last night, so the three NEO Racing News on-board cameras brought back some great videos.
Buckeye Super Sprint driver #6L Talon Stephens carried one of cameras for his dominating performance Sunday night, sweeping both Heat and Feature races. #75 Stephen Klinect carried the Modified Challenge on-board until his motor gave up the ghost in their feature race. Also, #33 Cody Rose carried the Street Stock on-board until the camera decided it needed to take the night off. His on-board was able to record the Street Stock dash and heat.
Plenty of racing action caught on camera, continue reading for seven videos from Sandusky Speedway. Continue reading VIDEOS: Buckeye Super Sprints, Sandusky Modified Challenge, and Street Stocks
Memorial Day Weekend is finally upon us, which means we as a nation should pause to remember those that we have lost as they have defended our freedoms and serve our country. We should not ignore our retired and active military, who have and continue to be there for us as a country.
While we pause to reflect and honor, the flood gates in the Northeast Ohio region have opened. Lake Erie Speedway in Erie, PA will open their 2013 season (sans late models) Saturday night, while Attica takes a week off to prep for the World of Outlaws. Fremont Speedway spends the weekend with the UNOH All Star Circuit of Champions, while Sharon Speedway doubles-up with the RUSH late Model Touring Series. Modifieds are the main theme at three tracks this weekend, with special races planned at Lorain (Saturday), Sandusky (Sunday), and Lake County (Monday).
NEO Racing News will be at Midvale Speedway for its 60th Anniversary celebration, and Sandusky Speedway for the second leg of the Modified Challenge.
It’s a full weekend of racing…keep reading for the full schedule of events! Continue reading Racing Around NEO: Memorial Day Weekend Edition
By Brian Liskai, PRess Release from Fremont Speedway’s website
Race people take care of others.
Simple and to the point.
The tornado that devastated Oklahoma this past week effected thousands of people and the race fans of Northwest Ohio are stepping up to help.
This weekend is a big event at Fremont Speedway. The UNOH All Star Circuit of Champion Sprint Car teams will compete in a double-header on Saturday and Sunday. And, not only is the Second Annual Kick-It Kickball Tournament going to be held to raise funds for childhood cancer research, but the track has teamed up with several race teams and businesses to help the victims of the tornado. Continue reading Fremont Speedway to Raise Donations for Oklahoma
250 Speedway – Friday 5/17/13
- Modified Feature – 1. Jim Smith / 2. Rob Melzer / 3. Jeremy Sluka / 4. Rex Slaughter / 5. Jim Plance
- Super Stock Feature – 1. Steve Wolford / 2. Jason Jarrett / 3. Dustin Warner / 4. Sam Clegg / 5. Brandon Welker
- Pure Stock Feature – 1. Jamie Warner / 2. Matt Peckins / 3. Deak Parsons / 4. Cody Krebs / 5. Brian Miller
- Compact Feature – 1. James Dermer / 2. Lenny Orr / 3. Robert Frohnapfel / 4. Kenny Feister / 5. Mike Seifert
- Mini Wedge Feature – 1. Philip Bubeck / 2. Brady Reed / 3. Lucas Thomas / 4. Robbie Ledger / 5. Nick Quaigg
- Modlites Feature – 1. Kenny Meadows / 2. Jay Dye / 3. Ryan Baker / 4. Joe Burkhead / 5. Taylor Wagner
- For more information, please visit 250 Speedway’s website.
Attica Raceway Park – Friday 5/17/13
- Full results have not been posted, please visit the track’s site for race results.
- For more information, please visit Attica Raceway Park’s website.
Deerfield Raceway – Saturday 5/18/13
- Jr. Sprints (No Full Results Listed) – 1. Ryan Boano
- Jr. Sportsman Feature – 1. Carson Miller / 2. Brian Toto / 3. Vivian Jones
- Micro Sprints Feature – 1. D.J. Furney / 2. Tim Eakin / 3. Ryan Fredericks / 4. Brett Brunkenhoefer / 5. Brandon Fredericks
- Mod Lites Feature (No Full Results Listed) – 1. David Innes
- Chargers Feature (No Full Results Listed) – 1. Angie Grzelak
- Classics Feature – 1. Ken Platt / 2. Jason Myers / 3. Zach Anthony / 4. Chuck Magrell / 5. Gregory Davis
- E-Mods Feature – 1. Roger Hermann / 2. Josh Mueller / 3. Blaine Heater / 4. Nicole Hrdlicka / 5. Tim Schmitt Jr.
- Compacts Feature – 1. Dale Stoner / 2. Jeremy Ross / 3. Dustin Scott / 4. Larry Ingram / 5. Rich Johnston
- For more information, please visit Deerfield Raceway’s website. Continue reading RESULTS: Dirt May 17th – 18th
250 Speedway – Friday 5/3/13
- Modified Feature – 1. Jim Smith / 2. DJ Cline / 3. Rob Melzer / 4. Brock Melzer / 5.Bob Page
- Super Stock Feature – 1. Jason Jarrett / 2. Steve Wolford / 3. Brandon Welker / 4. Mickey Thorpe / 5. Derick Lewton
- Pure Stock Feature – 1. Jamie Warner / 2. Scott Richardson / 3. Matt Peckins / 4. Rob Scott / 5. Cody Krebs
- Compact Feature – 1. Billy Tennant / 2. Robert Frohnapfel / 3. Kenny Fiester / 4. Don Rufener III / 5. Tammy Rufener
- Modlite Feature – 1. Kenny Meadows / 2. Doug Stanley / 3. Josh May / 4. Josh Baldwin / 5. Ryan Baker
- Mini Wedge Feature – 1. Philip Bubek / 2. Jacob Ice / 3. Robbie Ledger / 4. Lucas Thomas / 5. Cody Kilpatrick
- For full results, please visit 250 Speedway’s website.
Attica Raceway Park – Friday 5/3/13
- Foster Auto Body 305 vs 360 Sprints A Main – 1. Caled Griffith / 2. Butch Schroeder / 3. Dain Naida / 4. Gregg Dalman / 5. Dustin Daggett
- Summit Racing Equipment Late Model A Main – 1. Rusty Schlenk / 2. Chris Keller / 3. Wayne Maffett Jr. / 4. Cody Schott / 5. Matt Irey
- Bob Machine Shop Dirt Trucks A Main – 1. Dan Roepke Jr. / 2. Dustin Keegan / 3. Cory Ward / 4. Kyle Cline / 5. Brian Melnek
- For full results, please visit Attica Raceway Park’s website.
Deerfield Raceway – Saturday 5/4/13
- Jr. Sprints Feature – 1. Danielle Tuttle / 2. Jacob Eakin / 3. Ryan Boano / 4. Ty Miller / 5. Jonah Walters
- Jr. Sportsman Feature – 1. Vivian Jones / 2. Brian Toto / 3. Carson Miller
- Demyan Micros Feature – 1. DJ Furney / 2. Ryan Fredericks / 3. Todd Reusser / 4. Mike Borawiec / 5. Tim Mcvay
- Chargers Feature – 1. Joe Grzelak / 2. Ted Williams / 3. Angie Grzelak / 4. Jeff Eboch / 5. Larry Rhoads
- Classics Feature – 1. Maranda Myers / 2. Jim Good / 3. Ken Platt / 4. Terry Ohl / 5. Bob Boano
- E-Mods Feature – 1. Blaine Heater / 2. Josh Mueller / 3. Roger Hermann / 4. Nicole Hrdlicka / 5. Christian Walker
- Compacts Feature – 1. Jeremy Ross / 2. Mike Wilson / 3. Nick Groves / 4. Dale Stoner / 5. Josh Palmer
- 600 Micro Feature – 1. Nick Krchelich / 2. Brian Stivenson / 3. Clay Riney / 4. Scott Scholl / 5. Al Cavoto
- For full results, please visit Deerfield Raceway’s website. Continue reading RESULTS: Dirt May 3rd & 4th
May has finally arrived on the racing calendar, which means that nearly every racetrack in the Northeast Ohio area is up and running. The sole operating track missing is Lake Erie Speedway, which will not be open until Memorial Day weekend.
From dirt to drag, there is something for everybody this weekend. Highlighting your Friday is Attica, which is hosting a 305/360 Challenge race. Weekly racing fills out the night at 250 Speedway, Toledo, and Wayne County. Saturday gets a tad busier.
Eleven racing facilities are running Saturday, with options at drag strips, dirt, and asphalt tracks. NEO Racing News will be at Sandusky Speedway to cover the pits for their opening night of the 2013 season, while BOSS Non Wing Sprints invade Fremont Speedway. Columbus Motor Speedway will also feature the FAST Legend Car Series. Regular weekly racing continues across the rest of the region on Saturday, as well.
Remember to use our Track Map page to find the locations of Northeast Ohio racetracks, and our Calendar page to see when races are happening throughout the year. Continue reading Racing Around NEO: “May the Fourth Be With You” Edition
Six dirt tracks were in action this weekend. For all the weekend’s results, click here.
Attica Raceway Park – Friday 4/26/13
- Sunoco American Late Model Series A Main – 1. #15 Jon Henry / 2. #55V Jeep VanWormer / 3. #3 Matt Miller / 4. #91 Rusty Schlenk / 5. #49 Brian Ruhlman
- O’Reilly Auto Parts 410 Sprints A Main – 1. #2+ Brian Smith / 2. #O9 Craig Mintz / 3. 5R Byron Reed / 4. W20 Greg Wilson / 5. #14H Todd Heller
- Foster Auto Body 305 Sprints A Main – 1. #1 Nate Dussel / 2. #6 Dustin Dinan / 3. #25 Jason Keckler / 4. #5R Jordan Ryan / 5. #22M Dan McCarron
- For full results, please visit Attica Raceway Park’s website.
Wayne County Speedway – Friday 4/26/13
- Fisher Performance Sprints Feature – 1. Kory Crabtree / 2. Danny Smith / 3. Danny Mumaw / 4. Chris Myers / 5. Beau Stewart
- Lias Tire Late Model Feature – 1. Russ King / 2. Charlie Duncan / 3. Cory Conley / 4. Shane McLoughlin / 5. Rick Bond
- Thrifty Muffler Super Stocks Feature – 1. Kyle Moore / 2. Bob Daugherty / 3. Jeremy Lynch / 4. Brandon Craver / 5. Frank Oriti
- NAPA Auto Parts Modifieds Feature – 1. Nathan Loney / 2. Chris Basich / 3. Eric Singhaus / 4. Bruce Miller / 5. Jim Nicely
- WQKT Mini Stocks Feature – 1. Brad Hensel / 2. Mike Rose / 3. Mitch Reichard / 4. Lester Berry / 5. Adam Kern
- Mini Wedges Feature – 1. Tanner McLoughlin / 2. Logan Duncan / 3. Dan Selway
- For full results, please visit Wayne County Speedway’s website. Continue reading DIRT RESULTS: April 26th – 27th Round-up
Mother Nature is delaying Attica Raceway Park‘s silver season by a week, as the track cancelled Friday’s (March 22nd) opener due to poor conditions.
“The grounds, especially the parking areas, are just too wet and soft,” stated Director of Operations Rex LeJeune in a track release. He continued, saying, “With rain and ice and snow the first couple of days of the week and very little drying opportunity and coupled with the forecast which calls for highs only in the mid 30s and lows in the 20s….that’s not a good combination for the fans and race teams.”
The delay means that Attica’s 25th season will instead kick off with a full weekend of UNOH All Star Circuit of Champions Sprints. A full slate of racing will run on Friday, March 29th and Saturday, March 30th. Series on the schedule include the All Star Sprints, UMP DIRTcar Late Models, and 305 Sprints. Gates open at 5 PM and 4 PM, respectively. Adult tickets for Friday are $18 and $22 on Saturday. Kids under ten are free. For full pricing and race times, visit Attica Raceway Park’s website.